Our roots in Kerrville go back to the town’s founder–Joshua D. Brown–and chronicle the growth of the community. In 1856, Brown donated land for a Methodist church. The first church was built in 1871 and located at the center of town. When it was destroyed by a storm in 1876, the congregation worshiped in the District Court Room. Later, the Methodists met in a Union Church built for all congregations on two Clay Street lots donated by Captain Charles Schreiner in 1885.
It was during this period that Rev. J.S. King and church members decided to build a separate, permanent structure. This one-room frame building with belfry was erected on the corner of Sidney Baker and Jefferson Streets, and dedicated in 1892. In 1927, the frame church was replaced by a new brick structure of Spanish architecture. Through the following decades, a chapel, classrooms, and fellowship hall were added.
On June 19, 1977, the congregation, led by Rev. Harold Sassman, traveled by caravan from Mount Wesley to their new church home. That is where we stand together today in our community of faith. By the 1970's, the church was in need of a ground level, handicapped accessible sanctuary, and no land was available at that location. The church acquired property at the present location of 321 Thompson Drive on the other side of the Guadalupe River. During the construction phase, the church worshiped at the Mount Wesley Conference Center.